Measures taken in El Salvador due to COVID-19
Here you will find a summary of the actions taken in El Salvador due to the impact generated by COVID-19.
- Suspension of work in Call Centers, Maquilas, Shopping Centers, Restaurants, Bars, commerce in general that is not indispensable
- People over 60 years old and pregnant women do not work.
- Approval of regulations of new modality of non-contact work (Telework Law), this new law modifies the way of providing services but does not affect the guarantees of workers, who will remain enjoying the same rights as any other employee.
- The only public employees who can transit during the quarantine period: dependencies of the Ministry of Health, the National Civil Police, the Armed Forces, Migration, the Superintendence of Competition and of Electricity and Communications, the Consumer Advocacy Office, Members of Municipal Councils, Magistrates and court judges of justice who cannot delegate their constitutional activities, administrative employees of the Supreme Court of Justice and the Institute of Legal Medicine, Deputies and employees of the Legislative Assembly
- Approval that the elderly and people with disabilities receive their pension without the obligation to personally appear, according to the Law.
Administrative Law measures:
- The validity of the Unique Identity Document (DUI) is enabled for all citizens whose document expires, during the 30 days of the national emergency.
- Mandatory domicile quarantine throughout the country for thirty days. No one may circulate or meet in the territory of the Republic, except for exceptions such as going to the supermarket, going to the pharmacy, health emergencies, when absolutely necessary.
- The only natural persons who may transit during the quarantine period are persons working in the public transport sector; food sector (supermarket, convenience stores) and restaurants (only with “take away” service modality); financial sector (banks and insurance); health sector (pharmacies, hospitals, infirmaries, laboratories); textile sector or production of goods and services that can be used in health; call center sector (only for the food delivery, telecommunications, banking, medical services, airlines sector); drinking water distribution services; agriculture and livestock sector, beekeeping and fish farming, agribusiness.
- The national territory is declared as an area subject to sanitary control and extraordinary measures are taken to prevent the danger of the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- Complete closure of the international airport. Only cargo planes enter.
- National general quarantine, no one enters the country. Whoever enters is required to complete 30 days in a quarantine center.
- Only cargo transportation (by land or air) to the country is allowed.
- Approval that no Salvadoran incur in breach of contractual obligations or civil or commercial penalties. This measure is applicable to all those people who do NOT receive income and are unable to fulfill their obligations because they are directly affected by the emergency measures.
- In the tourism sector: Exemption for 3 months from the payment of the special contribution for the promotion of tourism, as well as the payment of income tax corresponding to fiscal year 2019. As long as the tax to be paid is equal to or less than $ 25 thousand
- Approval of the extension of the payment of Income Tax, without interest, surcharges or fines for 3 months, for small and medium taxpayers who are dedicated to the generation, transmission, distribution and commercialization of electrical energy, as well as those who provide electricity services. subscription television, mobile or fixed telephony, and internet, and whose tax to pay is equal to or less than $ 10 m.
- Approval of deferring the payment of water, electric power and telecommunications services (telephone, cable television and internet) to citizens and municipalities, for a period of three months that begins in March. This measure guarantees that these services are not suspended for Salvadorans who do not have the economic capacity to cancel them.